Essay#2 option: Oedipus Rex (WRITE)
First, give a brief plot summary that answers the following questions. This should take no more than one good paragraph:
- How does Oedipus ascend to the throne of Thebes, and what happens at the crossroads where three roads meet?
- What crimes does Teiresias know Oedipus is guilty of, and how does the king respond?
- What events lead up to his final exile?
Next, answer at least one of the following analysis/interpretation questions:
- In practical and philosophical terms, what is Oedipus trying to do by fleeing Corinth?
- How do the various plot details model irony? Give at least two examples.
- What lesson(s) would a Greek audience have drawn from the story?
3 pages (1000 word count), 1â€ margins, double-spaced, 10/12 pt. type; on a cover page or in the top left-hand corner, be sure to put your name, my name, our class, and the date. Use an effective structure that carefully guides your reader from one idea to the next, and edit thoroughly so that sentences are readable and appropriate for an academic audience.