Each discussion post must respond to all the prompts and be at least a few paragraphs (minimum 250 words). Must be written in essay form. Remember to put titles of works of art in italics. Donâ€™t forget to proofread for correct spelling and grammar before posting. Always refer to the title and author of the article in your posts and responses. Just answer the questions, use the links, and follow instructions!
III. COSMOLOGY & BELIEF DISCUSSION
The 5 major religions in art:
A brief history of religion in art:
- Watch this video on Cosmology and Belief: http://www.learner.org/courses/globalart/theme/5/index.html (Links to an external site.)
- RESPOND to the following questions:
- a. What did you learn that was surprising or just not something you had ever thought about?
- b. Provide an overview of the video by mentioning a few significant examples of images that help deliver the ideas and beliefs of a divinity
- Now select one of the images just to your right on the page where it says â€œARTWORKSâ€. Read about that work of art. Now write about it.
- a. Describe it (use your own words) and provide the artist (if applicable, if not it is anonymous), title, date, culture, medium and size.
- b. What did you learn about it?
- c. What made you select that image?
- What role does art play in your religious practice? If you have no religious practice then just write that. Keep in mind that â€œartâ€ may mean the structure or architecture of a place of worship, a symbol such as a Buddha or crucifix, or even an altar in your home.